Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Chapter 22 - Update #10 - Raining Hope Crusade Part 2 - Music

After we concluded the crusade on Wednesday night, we packed up all of our equipment and When you call on Jesus, all things are possible.  I can mount on wings like eagles and soar.  When I call on Jesus, mountains are going to fall.  Because He’ll move heaven and earth to come rescue you when you call.”  
Something happened that I had not expected.  While I was doing my greeting, the Raining Hope choir was still standing behind me.   As I started signing, they started backing me up and signing with me!  We had not practiced anything or even talked about it.  But we have been doing music together for so long, we immediately began to work together as one body.   It was a thing of beauty.  I have never experienced anything quite like it.  From that first day on, we did every song together.  Godfrey later told me the choir were like angels wings that covered me and were pushing me forward.  They followed my lead and they moved as I moved.  You could almost feel the brush of angels wings.  The people in the market all moved in closer from the outer areas.  As the words of the songs came alive, the people began to respond. 
So the next two days of the crusade, the songs became crucial during the worship time to usher in the preaching of the Word.  They became our living testimony. 
On the second night, Godfrey had me share two songs.  As soon as I arrived (a little earlier this time…6 pm!) we shared the song, Giants Fall by Francesca Battistelli.  This song became our theme the year that we purchased our house.  That year the children surprised me and had choreographed their own movements to the song!   Over the last ten years, we faced multiple giants.  This song means so much to our children because they are experiencing miracles…and giants HAVE fallen!  
“Don’t you be afraid of giants in your way.  With God you know that anything’s possible.  So step into the fight, he’s right there by your side. The stones inside your hands might be small, but watch the giants fall.  Miracles can happen.  Anything is possible watch the giants fall.”  https://youtu.be/DqjdkvuFT30
Just before Godfrey preached, we signed One Touch by Nicole C. Mullens https://youtu.be/WbaDlPg18HU
This song becomes a visual depiction of the story in the Bible found in Luke 8:40-48.  It was the story of a women who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years.  She had spent all her money on doctors but no one was able to heal her. “She came up behind Jesus and touched the fringe of His cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped.  …  In the presence of all the people she explained why she had touched Him and how she had immediately been healed. “Daughter,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”    I became that woman.  The children became the crowd that ostracized her.   It was a powerful moment that Godfrey then used to say to the crowd n the market that they too could be healed with just one touch of the Master.  
I have signed this song many times but never with a group.  In the moment I truly felt ostracized.  When I sign music, my job is to communicate to the deaf what they can not hear with their ears.  Hearing people benefit as they CAN hear with their ears. Whether deaf or hearing, both can “HEAR” with their hearts.  Songs become powerful for me because most songs are very personal.  Many are testimonies of experiences I have walked through.  I sign the way I do because I FEEL the words in my soul.  I also have come to understand that I am not alone.  How many times have we been judged or ostracized by others?  How many times have we been told we are not good enough?  
“Been ostracized for 12 years,  I'm used to being alone - Spent everything I had and now it's gone - I’m used to being put down, my issues tell it all - My only hope is anchored in this fall.”  I have felt the “sting” of pain from the words of others much too often.  But with one touch, one word, He heals and He restores.   “When I call on Jesus, all things are possible.” 
The last day of the crusade was the most powerful.   Another song that has become precious to us this year is  “Different Drum” by Blanca - https://youtu.be/1cTRSDSXaBc  Godfrey has told me that many people have been asking about the Raining Hope children.  They have noticed that our children are different.  There recently was a meeting in the community that Godfrey attended.  One subject that is discussed is the misbehavior of youth in our community.  They have said, “We find none of that with the Raining Hope children.  They conduct themselves and lead their lives in a way that is healthy to the community.  Their desire is to serve God and their service is something we are thankful for.  They are different and God is at work in them.”  Hallelujah!! “We’re gonna march to the beat of a different drum / We do that left right left to our own rhythm / And we’ll keep on movin’ ‘cause we’re not afraid to stand out.”  Our children at Raining Hope stand out because they are the LIGHT in a dark world.  They truly are not afraid to stand out for Christ!  
But the song that touched my heart the most of all the crusade was when we signed, 
I have done this song countless times.  It is one of my favorites.  There is a familiar story in Matthew 26:6-13.  His Words tell this beautiful story:  “While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper,  a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.  When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. ‘Why this waste?’ they asked. ‘This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.’  Aware of this,  Jesus said to them, ‘Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.’”
CeCe Winans words from the song bring this story to life. 
“I can’t forget the way life used to be - I was a prisoner to the sin that had me bound 
And I spent my days poured my life without measure 
Into a little treasure box I’d thought I’d found 
Until the day when Jesus came to me and healed my soul - With the wonder of His touch 
So now I’m giving back to Him all the praise He's worthy of 
I’ve been forgiven and that’s why I love Him so much 
When I sign this I use a clay pitcher that I bought in Uganda to symbolize the alabaster jar.   This time I signed it in a way that I have not signed it before.   Tears flowed as the children and I moved together though the song.  
“And I’ve come to pour  - My praise on Him like oil from Mary’s alabaster box 
Don’t be angry if I wash His feet with my tears - And I dry them with my hair 
You were’t there the night He found me - You did not feel what I felt 
When he wrapped his love all around me and 
You don’t know the cost of the oil - In my Alabaster Box 

I came off the stage and looked at Godfrey.  We both had a moment that we were genuinely speechless.  We tried to talk but could not.  We walked away from one another in tears.  
After the crusade was over, this is what Godfrey told me: 
“While you were signing, the song was slow and ushered in the presence of God in a mighty way. I saw people attentive to hear and learn from the song as they connected with the sign language. This prepared me a lot to deliver the message. Your signing provided a spiritual atmosphere that the Holy Spirit of God used to minister and prepare souls for Christ. It was a blessing.”
I mentioned in another update the importance of signing music in my life.  It is not just interpreting words but it is interpreting my heart.  This time just like in the song “One Touch,” I became this Mary.  I truly submitted myself to the presence of Christ as Mary must have done by pouring out this expensive ointment on Jesus’ head.  
This is what the children of Raining Hope are doing.  As they submit themselves to Christ, the fragrance that fills the air is one that people are noticing.  The people of Jinja are beginning to understand our children spend time in the Presence of Jesus. They sense the difference.  The sweet fragrance from our blooming bouquet filled that market in our community of Ambercort.  People want to know who is this God we serve.   The fragrance of Christ is drawing them in.  They are seeking and they will find Him.   Part 3 of the crusade update will be testimonies directly from our children during our time of debrief.   You too may find yourself speechless! 
Continuing to be Speechless, 
Mama Eydie Kisakye 



No comments:

Post a Comment