Monday, August 31, 2015

Chapter 20 - Update #19 - August 9, 2015

Desiree & Sunday School 

Desiree, Kelly & Katie 

Making flowers

Jemimah

Kelly & Sunday School 

Jireh

Glory Be to God Church 

Waiswa reading his letter

Mama Kisakye & Hope 

Dinner with the Otile's & Hotel Paradise

Dinner with the Otile's & Hotel Paradise

Sunday  - 8/9  - Glory Be to God Church

Sunday we were able to worship at Glory Be to God Church.   It was an amazing morning.  The children presented one of their Raining Hope Choir songs.  Then we presented the song, “Alive” together.   I had Esther in front signing with me as the rest of the Raining Hope kids had choreographed dance movements behind us.  We all ended the song signing the chorus together.  This song as well has become an anthem for Raining Hope.  People are starting to ask, “What is happening at Raining Hope?”  It is such a blessing to hear the children say, “Jesus is alive in our home!” 

Here are the words to the praise song, "Alive."

I was lost with a broken heart, You picked me up, now I'm set apart
From the ash I am born again, Forever safe in the Saviour's hands
You are more than my words could say, I'll follow You Lord for all my days
I'll fix my eyes, follow in Your ways, Forever free in unending grace

Chorus:
'Cause You are, You are, You are my freedom, We lift You higher, lift You higher
Your love, Your love, Your love never ending, Oh oh oh

You are alive in us, Nothing can take Your place
You are all we need, Your love has set us free

In the midst of the darkest night, Let Your love be the shining light
Breaking chains that were holding me, You sent Your Son down and set me free
Everything of this world will fade, I'm pressing on till I see Your face
I will live that Your will be done, I won't stop till Your Kingdom come

Chorus

You are, You are, You are my freedom, We lift You higher
You are, You are, You are my freedom, We lift You higher, lift You higher
Your love, Your love, Your love never ending, Oh oh oh

Chorus

Amen!!!

After the time of worship, our ladies on our team went to minister to children’s church.  There were about 150 children in this time of Sunday School.  They shared the Word and they had a corresponding art project.  They made tissue flowers that were so pretty.  It was a site to see all the children after Sunday School carrying their art flowers so proudly.  I saw some give their flowers to their moms which just warmed my heart! 

Pastor Doug was invited to preach the message that morning to the congregation.  He gave a great message on Psalm 23.  He taught verse by verse the very familiar passage.   He used good illustrations that they can culturally relate to.  It was challenging message and one well received by the church.

We have to rent a larger van that is more like a bus each Sunday in order to get all the children to and from church.  They all piled into the bus after the service and our team got into our Raining Hope van.   It only takes a little over 5-7 minutes to get back to the house which is such a praise!   We drive past some shops on the main road.  We were following the bus when all of a sudden it stopped on the side of the road.  I got out of our van with Jonathan to find out what had happened.  It turns out, the driver just wanted to stop to pick up something at the shop!    I was about to turn to return to our van when the children said, “Mum Kisakye, you need to come on the bus!”  I told Jonathan I would stay and he could go back and take my seat on our van.  When I jumped onto the bus, the children all shouted with joy!  It was a simple thing as my joining them in their bus that made them so happy!  Three of the little children turned and gave me their paper flowers that they made in Sunday School!  I was filled with such joy and love.  I was able to get the flowers back to Ventura without getting crushed!  They now have found a nice spot in our living room as a constant reminder of their love. 
 
We spent the rest of the afternoon at the home.  I had warned the team that last Sunday after church, the children are exhausted!  They were so glad that I had warned them because this Sunday was no different.  Church service worship is an amazing time of praising the Lord.  There is a lot of dancing that happens and the kids are physically worn out!  They worship with their whole being and need Sunday afternoons to just rest in the Lord.   So many of the kids just fall asleep right in the living room chairs! 

Before they got too tired, we took a huge group photo with the team.  I also needed a group photo of just the Raining Hope kids.  Shannon has done a tremendous job for me in getting photos for Raining Hope.  I am so thankful for the way she is sharing her talent as a photographer. 

Before we had lunch, our Raining Hope family provided the team with sugar cane and bananas!  I think for some of the team it was the first time they experienced eating raw sugar cane.  It is a special treat for our kids!   The bananas are the sweet miniature bananas that you don’t find much in the US.  They are incredibly sweet!  

The kids played futbol (soccer) with some of the team for the first time.  They had been playing volleyball most of the other days.  We also took this time for Shannon and Desiree to do the interviews I needed on video for Raining Hope.  I have not seen the finished videos yet, but I know they will be amazing! 

The kids were not only exhausted from church service, but from the Dedication Day on Saturday.  We wanted them to get some needed rest.  We had a short time of devotion but then we left to head back to the hotel for dinner.

That night, the Otile’s had invited my team for a special dinner.  Most of the time when I bring a team, the Otile’s do invite us to share a meal with them.  At times we have had the meal next door at their sister hotel.  One time, we went to their house for refreshments.  It always varies depending on their schedule.  This time, they wanted us to eat right there are the hotel.  They had us order our food ahead of time so it would be ready for us. 

This team has come to love the Chinese food at the hotel.  The cook that specializing in the Chinese food mainly works next door at their sister hotel.  But if you remember from my past updates, I was given the privilege of learning from this cook how to make this food.  So now, whenever we want Chinese food, they call this cook over from the other hotel.   They brought my friend, Mutete over especially to cook our meal that night with the Otile’s.  The Otile’s also invited Godfrey and his wife Irene to join us.  Little did I know that they also invited, Andrew, one of the operating managers, Selevus, the Food & Beverage Manager, and their son, Robert the General Manager to join us!  These are all dear friends of mine who have become part of my family.   It was so nice to have them sitting and enjoying a meal instead of being the ones serving us!  It was the first time that the Otiles had invited anyone other than the team to join us!    It was a great time of fellowship for all of us.  I just love having my families all come together as one! 

The biggest challenge for the team was the Ugandan culture of not leaving any food behind!  Mrs. Otile was sitting closest to the girls on the team.  She said, “You know, when there is food left over on plate, it means that something is wrong with the food or you don’t like it.”  I had also warned the team that tonight was a special night and they would be aware if we didn’t eat all the food.  Again, the team was thankful for the warning!  I was so proud of them.  We we had the debrief after the meal, we had lots of laughs!   They said when Mrs. Otile made that comment, they took a deep breathe and went for it!  Their bellies were a little more full than ever...but at least it was with food that they loved eating! 

As the weekend came to a close, we stood amazed at all that God did.  He receives glory for each moment.  We couldn’t have asked for a better weekend than this. 

I will send one more update that will follow this one that will include Monday-Wednesday as we finish out our service project trip.   I do appreciate all of your taking the time to read.  It means the world to me that you have joined us on this incredible journey.

One more update to come!
mum kisakye! 

No comments:

Post a Comment