Thursday, February 17, 2011
Sit Down For Raining Hope Fundraiser a Success!
Sit Down for Raining Hope – 1st Annual Sit-A-Thon Fundraiser
February 11, 2011 at 6 pm through Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 6 pm!
We had 9 people who “sat” for 24 hours to raise money for Raining Hope Children’s Home in Uganda! Each sitter was sponsored by friends and family members PER HOUR that they sat. The minimum gift given was $10 (about 42 cents an hour). The largest gift received was $500 (about $21 an hour!)
Our sitters were:
Carol John, Heather Elkins, Sylvia Hernandez, Peter Kolek, Denise Levette, Donna Lopez, Kiana Miskel, Nancy Schroeder & Tiffany Silva,
Eydie ended up “standing” for 24 hours! I am not sure what is more difficult, sitting for 24 hours or standing for 24 hours! We should have had people sponsor Eydie per hour for her “standing!” Eydie cooked all of the meals, helped to encourage the sitters in whatever they needed and kept things moving smoothly.
The idea of a “Sit-A-Thon” came last year when Eydie participated in “Micah’s March” (Fundraiser for Devo Marshall’s son, Micah who is stricken with Spinal Muscular Atrophy). Carol’s comment was, “I can’t do a walk-a-thon, but I sure can do a Sit-A-Thon!” The idea became reality on February 11th!
Since it normally takes close to 24 hours to travel to Uganda from Los Angeles, our Sit-A-Thon was a “simulated flight!” The fellowship hall was transformed into an “airplane.” We “flew” on “Raining Hope One” (like Air Force One) on our way to Uganda! Our “All Aboard” area was where the sitters checked in with their sponsorships. They received a “passport” and a “ticket.” Thanks to April Dominguez, one of my former CBU team members who designed the airplane decor.
The rules for the sit-a-thon were...
1) You must “sit” for 24 hours while on Raining Hope One. (sitters all brought their own chairs with wheels)
2) You are allowed 5 minutes per hour to get up and stretch, used the restroom, run around the room, etc! (The sitters actually rarely got up out of their chairs!)
3) You may “stack” your minutes and use them as a line of credit . (eg. Wait 3 hours and then have a 15 minute break)
4) You may sell your minutes to someone else. (minimum of $1 a minute)
5) We will have times of playing various board games in the lounge area. Please feel free to join your fellow sitters in this part of the plane.
6) If you have homework or would like to do any studying, you are encouraged to shift to the “turbulence” area of the plane.
7) From 12 midnight to 6 am, we will have a designated “quiet time” when the lights may be dimmed for those that would like to sleep. You will find the “sleep zone” very beneficial. You do not HAVE to sleep during this time.
8) You must stay hydrated and well fed throughout the flight. Please let one of our attendants know if you are in need of food or water.
9) There will be limited cell phone/computer/electronic use throughout the flight. We want real world relationships to develop in the absence of electronic distractions.
10) Eydie is the captain of the flight and has no rules…other than to follow the real Captain!
The next post will be a journal of what we posted on facebook during the 24 hour fundraiser.