Monday, January 16, 2012

Chapter 13 Update #7

January 16, 2012

Raining Hope Uganda Trip
December 28, 2011-January 11, 2012
Chapter 13 – Update #7

Dear Friends & Family!
I have made it home safely! Since hitting the ground on Wednesday, things have been pretty busy as I had expected.

My flights home were good. It is where I first start experiencing the reverse culture shock of coming back into American culture. That part of it was rough this time. But something that God blessed me with was a fellow friend traveling on the flight from Entebbe to Dubai! One of the sons of the owners of the Hotel Paradise was on the same flight with me! Joe Otile was on his way back home to Texas. We were seated in the same part of the plane only a few rows apart. It was helpful to have someone who understands that process of leaving one home to get back to the other!

Kiana & Carol were waiting at the airport for me Wednesday morning. With rush hour traffic, an arrival of 7:45 am caused them to have their own adventures just trying to get to the airport! They said that when my plane had arrived they were still quite a ways off on the 405 freeway! For those that know the Los Angeles area you know what a challenge traffic can be. They had these visions of me emerging in the arrivals area with my bags...and have no one there to greet me! Thankfully...it took longer than normal through passport control, baggage claim and customs. They were there with their smiling faces and warm hugs to welcome me home!

It was good to see my Wednesday night Bible study group that night at my house. I thought I was going to be able to cook them an African meal...but we opted for ordering pizza instead! Especially since I woke up only 1/2 hour before they all arrived!

Thursday at Disneyland for Kiana’s birthday was a blessing! The weather was perfect! The parks both were not crowded since most students are back in school. We didn’t wait more than 15 minutes for any ride! I think Michael, Kiana and Heather waited just under 1/2 hour for California Screamin’ but they say it was worth it! I had many quiet moments of just walking around marveling that one day I am walking the dirt roads of Uganda...and the next the paved roads of Disneyland. Even though many of you may think we were crazy to be at Disneyland the day after I came home...it was actually a blessing. Just to have a day with my family was huge. Being gone for 2 weeks is always a challenge. I enjoyed just being together with them...even though at times they had to hang onto me and guide me where to go! Ha!

We celebrated that night back in Oxnard with dinner for the birthday girl that also included Carol John & Josh (Kiana’s boyfriend). Friday was a birthday party that included about 50 people most her PTYA friends!

Saturday I spent at California Baptist University for the Collegiate Disaster Relief Training. My part was teaching an introduction to Chaplaincy. It was a blessing to certify approximately 40 more students & staff to be deployed in a disaster. This is only the 2nd time we have done a specialized collegiate division training. CBU is the first in the nation to accomplish this.

Today I travel back to CBU for my Monday night training with my new International Service Project team that I will be taking to Uganda in May. If you could remember me in your prayers on Monday nights from now until May as that is when I make the drive to Riverside. Our training is from 6-9 pm. Pray also for the hours from 9:30 pm-midnight as I drive back to Ventura.

Yes, the coming home process was difficult this time because of the busy schedule. But I was prepared for it...but am looking forward to this coming week. I will have more moments at home to just rest and process all that God has done on this trip.

I will send an update on the needs of the home tomorrow. Please pray for us as we especially are in need of rent ($1,200 for 3 months) & school fees ($1,000) in the next week.

Thank you for journeying together with me on this 13th trip to Uganda. It helps me to know that my friends and family and with me. Thank you for all those who have sent me replies of encouragement and support.

You all mean so much to me. God has blessed me with tremendous friends and family.

I love you all!


1 Peter 2:9,  “But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people.  you are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession.  As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.” 

1 Samuel 12:16 , “Now stand here and see the great thing the Lord is about to do.”    

He has done amazing things!

Kale, 
Eydie 

No comments:

Post a Comment