Friday, October 1, 2010

Raining Hope Trip - Sept 27-Oct 9, 2010

Chapter 10 Update #2
Urgent Prayer Requests
September 30, 2010

I have arrived safely in Uganda! I actually had to come to Africa to get away from the heat wave we were having in California! The day I left we checked the outside temperature going through the valley in Southern California…it read 110 degrees! Who would have thought it was hotter in Los Angeles than Africa! Ha!
I was greeted at the airport by Solomon our manager of the home. Picking me up from a 7:45 am arrival means he must leave at 4:30 am from the home! We made it back to the hotel in Jinja by noon. After eating lunch, we decided I would go to the home the next day. That ended up being a very wise choice! I went to the room to unpack…but made it as far as the bed. I decided, “I am going to lay down for just a minute!” I was completely out! The next thing I knew, I woke up and it was dark outside! I slept a little bit longer then woke up thinking it was morning. To my surprise it was only 10:15 pm!
But I have quickly recovered and have fallen into my normal routines of life here in Uganda! It is so encouraging to be greeted by family here at Hotel Paradise! Only a couple of people knew I was coming back so soon. Most thought I was coming back in January! When Edward found me here this morning, he said, “Wow! You know this is now home for you. It is natural for you to even show up like this and we say, of course you are here! You are home!”
Breakfast in the restaurant I was greeted in Luganda by the staff. Webale kukomawo (welcome back from where you have been) is the translation. I learned something new today. Between Luganda & Lusoga dialects, which are both used here… it is actually “kale” that is the spelling for “bye” in Luganda. As I always sign my correspondences “kare” even though it sounds similar it is spelled different. Solomon was also proud that I have learned how to count from 1-5! Even though English is the common language used here…it is good for me to learn more of the local language!
Staff devotions as always is a great way to begin the day! Douglas led this morning from a passage in Matthew 4:17. The theme was about repentance and turning to God. As our ministry has been focused on reconciliation, this message today continued to encourage us to always “…walk with integrity. Blessed are their children who follow Him.” (Proverbs 20:7)
Today Solomon, Charles and I went to look for houses to rent. Charles has taken us to the area that he grew up at. He is well respected in that area and knows many people. We have found two houses that are possibilities for us. These are also our current prayer requests:
1) The house that we are considering is a large two-story house. It has enough bedrooms to accommodate our children & staff.
a. Their original offer was $500 a month. They have accepted a counter offer of $400 a month which is what we have been paying at our current property.
b. We still have not determined what they require as a deposit. Many places require payment for the full year in advance. Pray for this part of the decision that they will accept a lower amount.
2) The second house we are considering is quite a bit smaller. The compound grounds are great but the house only has 3 bedrooms and outdoor quarters with a few more small bedrooms.
a. They are asking $300 a month. However the landlord is wanting a full year paid in advance.
b. This would be a savings compared to the other house. But it is questionable whether we can fit all of the children in this home.
3) School. The children are in their third term of this school year.
a. The home we are considering is not in the same area where we currently live. That will mean the children relocating to another school. This will be fine for the new term in January. The decision is what to do about the remainder of this year.
b. We are exploring the options involved in moving the children at this stage of the school year.
4) Informing Parents & Guardians. We will be informing all of the parents & guardians of the options they have concerning the move.
a. Pray for Solomon, Charles and I as tomorrow (Friday) we will be trying to contact all of the parents. This is a challenge as this involves going to all the various homes. Not everyone here has a phone. We will possibly have one large meeting with the parents this weekend. Pray for wisdom, discernment & understanding as they receive this information.
5) The third option that we have if we do not receive enough funds to move into a new house will be to send all the children back to their parents & guardians. This will be temporary until we have the move-in funds. We have to be out of the current location before I leave to come back to California.
6) WE NEED YOUR HELP. Thanks to those who have already helped sacrificially in giving to assist the children. In the midst of a struggling economy, we recognize the generosity of your gifts. Thank you for caring for the children.
a. If you would like to help in this critical need of moving into a new home, you can make a tax-deductible donation of any size.
b. Contact our treasurer for Raining Hope Inc., Carol John at carol@caroljohn.com as soon as possible. Her phone number is 805-377-7387. You can mail checks to her attention at 507 Fernwood Drive, Oxnard CA 93030. She is going to wire whatever funds come in by Monday morning. It takes a few days to arrive here.
c. You can also go to our website at www.raininghope.org You can make credit card donations at that site.

7) We had meetings with all of the staff today about the move. Pray for us tomorrow as we will be talking to the children as a group about the move.

I did spend time with the children today at the home. Because we did not tell them I was coming…it was a HUGE surprise for them to come home from school and find me there! Sharon was so surprised that she just could not stop giggling! Many of the children who had gone home for holiday in August were all back at the home. I have already seen many of our children that we missed in August.
And of course…I couldn’t leave tonight without our now traditional “cupid shuffle” dance!
The children are happy & full of hope. The reports since Solomon has taken over the managing of the home have been so encouraging. They children are more on a daily schedule. Funds are being managed extremely well. The kids are being fed well. God is using both Solomon & Charles in tremendous ways to bring stability and hope to the children of Raining Hope!
We are packing and leaving Egypt. No turning back, no turning back. Our breakthrough has come. The blessings are pouring out! Thank you for being a part of what God is doing.
38 They will be my people, and I will be their God. 39 And I will give them one heart and one purpose: to worship me forever, for their own good and for the good of all their descendants. 40 And I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good for them. I will put a desire in their hearts to worship me, and they will never leave me. 41 I will find joy doing good for them and will faithfully and wholeheartedly replant them in this land.
Jeremiah 32:38-41
Please feel free to contact Carol John while I am traveling if you have any questions or would like to help. You can also reach me by email.

Thank you for partnering together with Raining Hope!

Blessings & peace to you!
Eydie
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment