Monday, January 19, 2015

Chapter 18 - Update #3 - January 19, 2015



As I sat to write this update I looked at Update #2 to see where I had left off.  Part of me can’t believe it was only 2 days ago that I wrote that!  So much has happened it seems like it’s been more like a week!  The other part of me can’t believe it’s only been 2 days because it feels like I just got here, which I did!  Sounds crazy but I woke up this morning after finally getting a whole night’s sleep and was a little disoriented!  God is overwhelming me and I’ll do my best to help you experience this right along with me!  

Saturday morning when I stepped out from my room, I anticipated with great joy all that God had in store for me!  Just outside the restaurant I began to run into all of my friends!  As I greeted my dear friend, Esther, Robert Otile then came over with huge smiles and hugs!  Then his father, Mr. Otile greeted me not knowing that I was even coming!  His comment was, “Wow!  What a nice surprise!  They didn’t tell me you were coming!”  Soon behind him came Andrew and then Apophia!  I was in the blessed spot!  I had the feeling that as I stood in that spot God just poured out blessings and love all over me!  I didn’t even want to move from that spot!  The Otile’s are the owners of the hotel.  Robert is the one who has helped me over the years with the buying of our land, the van and most recently our new home!  The reason that I also feel like I am home when I arrive in Uganda is because the people at the hotel are family.  They are always welcoming me home from my visit to America!  Ha!  

Then I went in to have my breakfast.  You know you are overseas when you have baked beans for breakfast!  Even when I was in Dubai, I chuckled at the buffet when I saw the traditional baked beans in a tray!  So common and I know that I am in my overseas home!  

As I sat, more of my friends came over to greet me!  So good to be back!  As I ate, I was reading my Oswald Chambers, “My Utmost for His Highest,” devotional. It was talking about the voice of the nature of God.  It started with, “I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Isaiah 6:8.   “When we talk about the call of God, we often forget the most important thing, namely, the nature of Him who calls...The call of God is the expression of God’s nature, not ours...Isaiah was so attuned to God, because of the great crisis he had just endured, that the call of God penetrated his soul.  The majority of us cannot here anything but ourselves.  And we cannot hear anything God says.  But to be brought to the place where we can hear the call of God is to be profoundly changed.”    I then started writing in the journal portion of the devotional.  As I wrote, I began to reflect on all that has happened since coming to Uganda that first time 8 years ago.   I have had ups and downs, hurts and crisis.  The words of this devotion became alive and clear.  The times of crisis truly caused me to be more in tune with Him.  The more time that I spend with Him, the more I know His voice...and it has profoundly changed me.  All I have to do is be still and know that He is God. 

Now as I wrote, I could hear two men talking at another table.  I could tell they were believers and were probably just meeting in Uganda on a mission’s trip.  I heard one talk about Maryland and Washington DC!  That always draws my attention as that is where Carol has moved to!  I wanted to go and introduce myself and tell them I was on my way to Maryland on the way home from this trip.  Yet, I continued to write and eat my breakfast.  But just as I got to the words in my journal about listening and being still...one of the men asked his new friend, “Can I share a devotion with you from EM Bounds on prayer?”  As I continued my eavesdropping....I was overwhelmed with God’s word that morning.  The devotion was on being still before the Lord.  It was about going through times of difficulty yet being still before God who will bring you through it all.  I think my jaw needed to be picked up off the floor!   I so wanted to go over and share testimony with them about what God was doing over at my little table across from theirs!  Yet I decided that I would wait and hope God would give me the opportunity to talk with them at another time.  

Then it happened.  I heard another voice and knew that I recognized that of a friend from Alabama!  A few years ago I met Pastor Ken who comes every January.  He has ministries in various places throughout Africa.  He has been a huge support as we share with one another whenever we are in Uganda at the same time!  Amazingly enough, the two men I overhead talking were part of his team!!!   I looked at him and said, “No way?!”  His response was, “Way!”  Ha!  After updating Pastor Ken on all that God was doing with the Ugandan Dream, he introduced me to the others at his table.  I shared my apologies for eavesdropping...but we all stood amazed at how God was drawing us together with His Word!   It was an amazing experience to start my trip and my day!   

I have invited them to come to the home once we finally get in and plan our time of dedication to help pray over our new property!   We are praying our schedules will work out.  The man that I overhead giving the devotion lost his wife a couple of months ago.  This is his first visit to Uganda.  I am praying for God to just flood his soul the way He did on my first journey to this amazing place!    

That was only the first hour I stepped out of my room!  I became even more excited about what God had in store for my next steps into this glorious day!  

I had a meeting with Robert Otile set up that morning to begin talking about the home and what steps we needed to take next.  The excitement in this meeting for both of us was hard to contain!   Knowing that God has provided this home for us made every detail come alive!   Money has been deposited to the ones selling the house and we will be able to pick up keys today (Monday) to go into the house!!!!   Even typing that out brings tears to my eyes!   There is a lot to do before we can actually move in.  But the first step is to have someone come and assess the property so we know what kind of things we will need to fix to get it ready to move in.  We will also have something that is equivalent to our property tax that we will owe to the municipal council that will be paid on a yearly basis depending on the value of our property.  And we just need to make sure that there are no outstanding water or electricity bills from previous tenants.  

Robert is walking every step of the way with me to take care of all these details.  He has been working closely with Godfrey from Raining Hope in my absence.  The reason we found this house at all was because Robert is the one that showed it to us.  He knew the owners and was able to do all of the negotiations.  We are blessed to have Robert working alongside us!  

The excitement in the day just kept building!  After Godfrey picked me up, we went to town just to exchange some of the money.  Because of the strength of the US dollar, right now the exchange rates are very high.  That is good news for us as we get more for the dollar!   I stopped at my friend, Diana’s shop to buy some cloth (material) as I always try to help her out.  I was greeted my her new baby of 7 months!  Last time I was there, she was just about to give birth.  The name of her baby...Brave!  I love it!  

We then tried to find my dear friend, Rita who had to move out of her shop I have known since my first trip here.  The owners of that building sold it and everyone had to move out.  We knew she had found another spot but couldn’t find it.  Thankfully I had her phone number and we were able to find one another.  We actually ended up at her home.  While the visit with her and the children were a huge blessing, we discovered that she was loosing money in trying to operate her business in the new place.  It wasn’t receiving enough foot traffic.  She made the decision to close that 2nd shop and try and sew from home.  I bought some bags and aprons just to help her since she no longer has all of the gift items our team members are used to buying from her.  Her husband still operates a small shop at the Nile tourist spot which is helping sustain them.  It was fun seeing Baby Eydie who is continuing to grow leaps and bounds!   So hard though when we are both together because they would call her, “Eydie” and I would always answer, “Yes”  then “Oh you were calling that Eydie!”  Ha!   

Then the biggest joy of the day came when I went to the home to visit our children. Oh the feeling of joy and love that filled my soul when I saw Henry open the gate with a HUGE SMILE!  As he walked alongside the van and the others realized I had arrived, they all came rushing out to greet me!  I couldn’t even get out of the van because their hugs all began happening as soon as I opened the door!  We began to celebrate and rejoice!  Godfrey was in the drivers seat saying, “They are so happy to see you!  They have been waiting for you.”  One by one I received hugs from them all.  We went inside and had an afternoon of just sharing, rejoicing and thanking God for all He is doing.  

This was the first time that I was able to talk to them about the new house.  I wish that all of you could have been there to hear and experience true hope.  They have been through so much in their lives.  To have remained faithful through it all knowing that God has a plan for their lives, was inspiring for me to witness.  They are examples to me of having a pure, authentic faith in Jesus.  These hours that we were together just blessed my soul.  

Godfrey was out picking up more of the children to bring them back to the house.  We are still in winter break so not everyone was home.  Many times I come in January and we only have a few children here.  But because Godfrey has been working so hard in preparation for the move, and we have our own van...he picked up everyone and got them to the house!  Just that is another miracle!  While we waited for everyone, we also just worshipped and danced and worked on new songs!   One of our new favorites is a worship song we sang at Grace Fellowship just before I left.  Thank you, Ricky MacDonald for being led by the spirit to use that in worship that Sunday.  I found on my Ipod, the version by Hillsong called, “Alive.”  That is becoming our new theme song!  Wish you could all be here to experience the absolute smiles on their faces as they sing & sign the words, jumping up and down for joy!   

At one point, as I talked to them about the new house, the new directions, I asked them if they had questions.  They had just a few.  They were just so happy.  At one point I think it was Jonathan who raised his hand.  He said, “This is not a question, I just want to say again, we are glad you are here.”  I too, just glad to be with my children here at Raining Hope.  That about sums it all up.  

That night when I went back to the hotel, Godfrey and I had to go over more plans for the upcoming days.  As we sat outside at supper, I realized as I was getting bit by mosquitos I not only forgot my OFF mosquito wipes (which I don’t use very often anymore) ... more important...the anti itch stick that keeps me from scratching!  Yet I was so filled with joy it didn’t matter!   There are joys deep within a well that are bursting forth with a force that can only be explained by God!   

This is just day one.  It is Monday morning and I need to go to morning devotions with the hotel staff.  So I will let these words soak into your soul and I will have much more in the next update!   I leave you with the words from this song that are the testimonies of our hearts!  

Kale!
eydie kisakye! 

"Alive"

I was lost with a broken heart
You picked me up, now I'm set apart
From the ash I am born again
Forever safe in the Saviour's hands
You are more than my words could say
I'll follow You Lord for all my days
I'll fix my eyes, follow in Your ways
Forever free in unending grace

'Cause You are, You are, You are my freedom
We lift You higher, lift You higher
Your love, Your love, Your love never ending
Oh oh oh

You are alive in us
Nothing can take Your place
You are all we need
Your love has set us free

In the midst of the darkest night
Let Your love be the shining light
Breaking chains that were holding me
You sent Your Son down and set me free
Everything of this world will fade
I'm pressing on till I see Your face
I will live that Your will be done
I won't stop till Your Kingdom come

'Cause You are, You are, You are my freedom
We lift You higher, lift You higher
Your love, Your love, Your love never ending
Oh oh oh

You are alive in us
Nothing can take Your place
You are all we need
Your love has set us free

You are, You are, You are my freedom
We lift You higher
You are, You are, You are my freedom
We lift You higher, lift You higher
Your love, Your love, Your love never ending
Oh oh oh

You are alive in us
Nothing can take Your place
You are all we need
Your love has set us free

You are alive in us
Nothing can take Your place
You are all we need
Your love has set us free

(You can listen on YouTube - Hillsong Young & Free - Alive)


No comments:

Post a Comment