Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Chapter 26 - Update #2 - Monday, July 31, 2023 Arrival at Airport & Drive Home

Entebbe Airport

Greeted at the Airport by Godfrey!

Reunion! 

Chicken on a Stick 

I have officially arrived! 

 Chapter 26 - Update #2 - Monday, July 31, 2023 


Ever since I arrived in Uganda on Thursday, things have been non-stop!   Not only have I not been able to write updates, the internet hasn’t been reliable.   Now that we have made it past the first weekend of activities, I had a moment to sit and write while I am wide awake! 


God has been with me every step of the way since leaving home in Ventura for the airport. Going towards Los Angeles, especially to the airport late morning you expect traffic.  But God answered the prayers of His people!  It was miraculously clear and free from traffic!  We arrived at the airport earlier than expected.  This turned out to be a good thing because the check-in process was a little long with the international flight. 


Even when I went through TSA pre-check there was NO LINE!  The TSA agent even said, “You have it all to yourself!”  That was absolutely crazy!  


My 16 1/2 hour flight literally flew by!  I was tired enough that in-between the meals and movies, I did nap.  I have learned not to look at time or it makes it seem even longer.  So when I thought enough time had sufficiently passed, I checked my watch.  To my surprised I only had 3 1/2 hours left to go!  I am not really sure how that happened! 


We arrived in Doha, Qatar about 30 minutes before scheduled.  Even though we arrived at 6:00 pm, it took me about 2 hours to maneuver around the huge airport and find my hotel!  


This is the first time traveling to either Doha or Dubai that the overnight stay was so convenient.  When the layover is over 8-12 hours (depending on the airlines) the airline provides free hotel accommodations.  My travel agent is the one who arranges this.  Which hotel is always determined at arrival by the transfer department.  To my surprise, this transfer hotel was right in the airport!  I didn’t have to leave the airport which also meant I didn’t have to go through immigrations to technically “enter the country” and then return in the morning through immigration to catch my connecting flight.  All of this saved a couple of hours! 


The hotel assigned to me was the transit part of the bigger hotel.  It is specifically designed to allow transit passengers a place to sleep and shower instead of sleeping in the airport.  Since I am traveling alone, it is a huge safety issue.  The airport itself is one of the nicest and largest ones I have traveled to.  It is a combination of stores, restaurants and hotels.  There was one area they called the “Orchard”.  It was a beautifully designed enclosed area that looked like a lush tropical forest.  They strategically placed wooden “tents” or some artificial trees with large “roots” to sleep on.  So those who had layovers less than 8 hours could at least rest in a peaceful spot.  


The overnight accommodations came with vouchers for two meals in the food court.  After I ate dinner, I walked through the “Orchard” on the way back to the room.  Even though the airport is pretty much 24/7, that time of night it is quieter.  So I enjoyed a little “quiet time” in the orchard that even had the sounds of birds in the trees!  

I had just enough time in the room to get a little rest and shower.  It was nice to go and get breakfast and then walk right to the gate!  Since it was all in the same terminal, I didn’t have to go back through security.  


As I transitioned to board the flight to Entebbe, my heart was filled with excitement!  Things are different when traveling overseas.  We were assigned zones as to when we board.  But that basically goes out the window.  So you can imagine the chaos that exists when everyone tries to get in line to board!   You also board a shuttle bus that takes you out on the jetway where you walk onto the plane from the ground.  I think we drove for about 10 minutes before we arrived at our plane!  


Words can not describe what I was feeling the last 30 minutes of my flight to Entebbe.  I realized that soon I would be back in my Ugandan home.  As we got closer, I began to be overwhelmed with emotion knowing that it was really happening.  When we touched down I whispered a prayer of thanksgiving to God for a safe arrival.  When my foot stepped off the airplane onto Uganda soil, I praised God for bringing me back.  


The Visa application for entry is now done online.  While it seemed to be a smoother process, it made for longer waiting times in line.  Not only do they have to verify the information, they are issuing the Visa sticker into each passport.  I think this was the longest I have ever stayed in line waiting to enter the country officially! 


I had been texting Godfrey who was eagerly waiting outside.  They are expanding and improving the airport, so things were just as chaotic outside.  By time I finally had the final “stamp of approval” and VISA in hand, my bags were already coming around the carousel.  

When I walked out of the “arrivals” door, I immediately scanned the crowd of people waiting for their loved ones.  I then spotted Godfrey with his HUGE SMILE!  He greeted me with a bouquet of flowers and a hug that seem to make up for the gap of three years!   We were just so happy to be back together again!  


A funny note is one year I bought Godfrey some of my homemade banana bread.  He loves it so much that have to make sure I bring some or he won’t let us leave the airport!  Just as we are leaving, I brought out a loaf.  His comment was “AH!  THE REAL BANANA BREAD!  It is official!  I know now that you are really here!”  


The roads have improved so much since I was last here.  There is now an expressway that by-passes major areas of congestion.  We avoid a lot of the traffic in Kampala by using this road.  Godfrey said that the normal time from Entebbe to Jinja had increased to 4 hours one way!  With the expressway it cuts that down an extra hour.  


But of course we made the customary (and non-negotiable) stop to get chicken on a stick at the roadside stand!  For those who have been with us on this journey, you know all about this famous delicacy! Ha!  You will be able to see photos if you go to my blog on our website.  I will only be able to post photos there.  For Godfrey it is the arrival of banana bread that makes my arrival official!   For me, I know I am back when I have chicken on a stick and fried bananas!  


We arrived in Jinja sometime after 7 pm I think. We went to the hotel first to drop off my things.  No matter the time, no matter how tired, I always stop at the home just for a quick greeting. This time it was a HUGE REUNION!  Update #3 will be all about our blessed and joy-filled first evening together after 3 years of separation!   

Kale, (Bye)
Mama Eydie Kisakye 

No comments:

Post a Comment