Friday, August 4, 2023

Chapter 26 - Update #4 - Thursday, August 3, 2023 - Send Off Celebration - Part 1

Another side note… While my internet problem has been solved (still praising God!), Yahoo has now been the next challenge.  When I send out the newsletter updates from anywhere other than home, I get these messages that I have to change my password due to suspicious activity.  It is a safeguard which is great.  But it takes times to verify that it is really me that is sending out the emails.  If you are missing any of the updates, just send me an email.  I did my best to go back and resend the ones that kicked back.  We will prevail!   I tried posting videos on the blog but it is not working.   (YAHOO is really a struggle.  I can't get the photos from phone to computer to post.  Check back later for the photos)

Friday was a day filled with little reunions at the hotel!  As I had breakfast, many of the hotel family came by to welcome me back home!  It was so great to see so many familiar faces.  


Godfrey came by in the morning to bring my wash basin filled with things I keep here so I don’t have to carry them in my luggage back and forth.  I forget most of the time what I have left behind!  But I was glad to see a travel hairdryer and straightener even though I end up not using it as much.  On Saturday I went to use the hairdryer and it immediately shorted out because it was the wrong voltage!   I had already washed my hair and had to be creative about how to dry it enough to wrap my scarf on my head.  I opted on standing in front of the wall fan following it as it moved!  You learn here to do the best with what you have!  Hey, it worked!  Godfrey said he wished I would have videotaped that!  Now I wash my hair at night to air dry.  The straightener is to help me not look like I put my finger in an electrical socket!  


I spent most of the day at the hotel working on my part of the program for the Send Off Celebration on July 29th.  It seemed like a good idea when we planned the event for the day after I arrived! Half way through Friday we questioned our judgement! Ha!   


Late afternoon, Godfrey came to pick me up to bring me to the house to work together on preparations.  We were still in awe that we were actually TOGETHER! 


Jemimah

Annet

Left to Right - Tamarah, Jemimah & Sophia

Joanne

Before dinner, I taught them how to make bows out of the ribbon I brought for the wedding.  They said they could use some of it for the Send Off.  So we spent time around the table crafting bows that were used all around the event on Saturday!  They carefully removed them after the event so they could be reused at the wedding!  I have never seen so many people be so excited about learning to make bows!  Lots of laughing and giggling was going on.  It was both the boys and the girls.  




Then the Send Off day finally arrived!  As I talked to each graduate, they couldn’t contain their joy.  Most of them thought this day would never come.  They felt like they were in a dream, 


Left to Right: Sylvia, Vivian, Godfrey, Jesca, Joanne & Hilary 

Left to Right: Sylvia, Vivian, Mum, Jesca, Joanne & Hilary 


Something that is part of the culture is things don’t really start at the scheduled time.  Our program was to start at 2:00 pm.  But at 2:00 pm no one was here. I was still at the hotel.  Godfrey always wants me to arrive after a group has gathered.  As I waited, 2:00 pm turned to 3:00 pm.  Even an hour later, only a few were there.  They know people will be later so they set the time for much earlier.  In Godfrey’s words, “In Uganda we have a problem with time!”  


When I arrived, Godfrey had me wait in the office for more to arrive.  I think we officially started around 4:00 pm!  But Godfrey & I led the processional with the five graduates following !  It was a moment to savor.  


We had to limit the number of invited guests.  Including our family we had close to 100 when all had arrived!   Throughout the program we had a representative from each group give a testimony of thanksgiving.  


The Local Chairman (LC) for our area was one of the invited local officials.  He is the LC1 Chairman for this area or “village”.  We were so thankful for his support.  He has been with us since we moved into this house.  He said he has always been impressed with our organization.  But he said that ever since we have come into this area, there has never been any disciplinary problems.  With a group our size and all that we are doing, he said that is a big victory and very noticeable. It makes us unique and stands out as different.   He gave thanks that we are here making a difference in the community. 


Two of the committee members who are on the compliance committee also were in attendance.  Because we got started late, they were not able to stay for the whole event due to a prior engagement.  But we were encouraged they were there to lend their support.  We gave them an opportunity to share a word with those in attendance (another reason they wait for more people to show up.  They don’t want invited guests to have only a few to talk to)!  


A side note:  Because of those of you who have given above your regular giving, we were able to get a lot of the painting of the house done. Godfrey called them to come just before I arrived.  They are pleased with our progress and we still are able to remain open while we continue to complete the things they are requiring.  Praise the Lord!  We still have a long way to go and more funds are needed.  But for now we are safe from immediate closure.


A representative from the community spoke on behalf of the neighbors.  She said that when we came in the neighborhood things began to change.  This is the first time I have heard anyone from the community say we have been responsible for the development of the neighborhood. It was a humbling moment. 


We then had a representative speak on behalf of all the parents.  They are all so incredibly thankful for what we have done for their children.  For many, these children are the first in the family to graduate from higher institutions with any type of diploma or certificate.   


The hotel I stay at is also a part of our enlarged family.  Because of various events, they were all scattered in different places.  But they sent Selevus our dear friend to represent the hotel.   The hotel family has watched our students grow from young children to young adults.  They are a part of our extended family and extremely proud of their accomplishments.  He shared their greetings and congratulations to the graduating five and the ministry as a whole. 

Selevus with Mum 

As I sat, the joy inside of me continued to build.  You will see in Part Two of the Send-Off update how I got to the point of absolute overflow!  It is almost hard to put into words what we experienced as His love was poured out! 


Thank you to those who are sending me notes of encouragement.  We appreciate your prayers and love.  We are in the midst of preparing for the Introduction Ceremony for Saturday!  Continuing praying because each day God is doing more than the day before! 


Kare, 

Mama Eydie Kisakye

No comments:

Post a Comment