Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Chapter 26 - Update #7 - Wednesday, August 9, 2023 - Church Services & Wedding Plans

I want to take some time to go backwards to the week in-between the Send Off Celebration & the Introduction. Instead of going day by day, I am going to highlight by subject.   Thank you for all those of you who are sending encouragement emails in response to the updates.   I appreciate every person who has taken the time to write back.  I appreciate EVERYONE for praying as you read the updates.  God is answering prayer.  


Before I take a look back, I want to lift up a special prayer for a friend named Cathy.  She is a server here at the hotel who I have known for years.  The unfortunate news is this morning she had a miscarriage.  I found her 7 months pregnant when I arrived and she was so happy to tell me the news.  When I was leaving breakfast, Selevus the Food & Beverage manager and another staff member named Jennifer had just returned from the hospital.  They gave me the very sad news that Cathy had just lost the baby.  They are family here.  We are all very devastated.  Please keep Cathy in your prayers.  Thank you for caring.  


CHURCH SERVICES - The first weekend I was here, we were still recovering from the Introduction.  Godfrey came to the hotel early on Sunday without my knowing because he was on a secret mission! 


The first morning I was here I noticed a beautiful turkey running around the compound.  He warned me it was not destined to lived much longer!  I made a good decision to not give it a name and get too attached!  He said that the turkey was part of the “afterparty”!  It wouldn’t have been enough for the Send Off meal.  So the afterparty was just for the family.  Godfrey brought the turkey to the hotel because they will cook things for us that require an oven.  All of our cooking is done over firewood or charcoal in pots.  The hotel graciously cooked our turkey in one of their outdoor ovens.  I was very sad to see the beautiful turkey gone, but his sacrifice was not for nothing! It was delicious the way it was prepared.  It was an absolute treat for the family.  


I shared a greeting during the services.  It was good to be back in fellowship with our Raining Hope Ministries family.  I signed the song “Believe It” by Jon Reddick Jon Reddick - I Believe It (The Life Of Jesus) [Official Lyric Video]


Part of the song says, “It’s not just a story.  It’s a living breathing walking testimony”


At the Commissioning I had talked about how the five students all had their own individual stories that were not ending with graduation.  This is the beginning of a continuing STORY of how God is using them to make a difference.  This is true of all those that are a part of Raining Hope Ministries.  That includes you as well! 


Godfrey preached a great message on being brothers and sisters in Christ.  It was a powerful message.  


Godfrey’s youngest daughter is named Trust.  She is 6 years old.  Last time I was here she was only three.  I thought it may take some time for her to warm up to me.  But she immediately began following me and staying close.  During the church services she came and sat right next to me. At one point she whispered, “I have to go wash my face”!  I said, “Ok”. She went off with a smile, and came back with a wet face!   Whenever she does anything she makes sure she tells me where she is going.  She is so polite and very considerate especially as a 6 year old.  


I LOVE worshipping with the Raining Hope family!  Henry, Dan and Joel lead on the instruments.  They have improved so much since I was here the last time.  Sylvia and Hilary are two of the main worship leaders.  Joan and Tamarah are also part of the choir.  The way they harmonize is a sweet, sweet sound unto the Lord.  


Those of you who have been a part of us for awhile, you may remember the story about a young man named Michael who has MS.  He now is in a wheelchair and his disease has taken more of a toil.  But he saw me and raised a smile.  His speech is a little bit slower.  But he said with confidence, “I am still praying and hoping one day to walk again!”  He was so filled with joy even though his circumstances have not improved.   Two young men were with Michael who he called, “his drivers”.  It was a very old manual wheelchair that they push him all the way back home in.  When he was there this past Sunday, his drivers were two little children probably 8 or 9 years old.  I watched them push him home.  That is community.  That is family. 


WEDDING - Right after the morning service, there was a wedding committee meeting.  It is very interesting here.  They have been simultaneously working on the Introduction and the Wedding.  BUT, most of the wedding planning happens after the Introduction.  Because we only have one week in-between both events, this week was very full.  


The wedding ceremony is the responsibility of the man.  They will be married here at Raining Hope.  The vows are what is the most important part of the ceremony.  They want their wedding to bring glory and honor to God alone.  


There will be another pastor who will actually do the wedding.  Godfrey said that when weddings are done at Raining Hope, it is kept short and to the point!  The reception will also be at our compound.  This is where we will have more speeches and a program.  


Just like the Introduction, Hilary hasn’t had enough funds come in from his friends and family to cover the cost of the wedding.  So they meet daily to try to see what to cut out of the budget.  That is how things are done here when it comes to these events.  They receive money all the way up to the day of the wedding.  But some things like food have to be purchased beforehand.   They have already cut the food budget down from what they originally planned.  
As of today (Wednesday), they are about a third of the way there with the food budget.  


Even with the unknown of the budget, they are at peace trusting God as they adjust each day.  I am so proud of all of them, especially Hilary and Florence. 


Something that has been funny is the weather has been almost perfect here … for me!   It has been in the high 70’s to low 80’s in the day.  Early mornings are in the high 60’s. We had rain last week that came at perfect times.  But as soon as the weather dips into the low 70’s, they all start to get really cold!  Don’t even talk about the 60’s!  To them we might as well be in the snow!   They will start to wear sweaters, jackets, scarves and hats.  They can’t believe I am still a little warm when it is low 70’s and have the fan running!  


One night, Hilary, Florence and I met outside on the grassy area.  It was the first time I had seen Florence since the last time I was here.  It was a beautiful time for us as we reconciled the issues from the past and looked forward towards their future together.  It is the time I gave my blessing to them as a mum.  I found out later that Hilary was REALLY COLD!  He saw I was fine so he said, “I had to be fine too because I saw you were being strong…but I was VERY COLD!”  


I tell you that story because the evening after the Introduction, it was actually colder that night at the home than when we sat outside together.  Hilary came walking into the house wearing a short sleeve shirt.  I said to him, “you must be cold”!   His answer was so very sweet and sums up this week.  He said beaming with a huge smile, “No, I can not be cold.  After yesterday’s Introduction, I am keeping so warm inside!”  He is so in love and so happy!  


So as we are winding down to the last weekend before I head back home to California, please keep the wedding in your prayers.  Pray for the continued preparations, for provisions, especially for food, and that God would be glorified in all that is said and done.  Pray for me as I am doing the flowers.  Basically it is only the bridal bouquet and four bridesmaids bouquets   It is Wednesday and we still don’t have any flowers!   It is not like home at all.  Natural flowers are not in abundance. The only thing they really have are miniature size roses and some chrysanthemums.   Even now opting for silk flowers means going to Kampala.  It is definitely a challenge!  I look forward to seeing what God provides for me to use to transform little into beautiful bouquets! 


Kale, 

Mama Eydie Kisakye 

No comments:

Post a Comment